Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
As for this build I think the mapping or better said the ecu will have the biggest problem.
The ms45 doesnt lend itself very well for high boost. (ess dropped the ts3 offer on the ms45 for that; problems with the ping algorithems that havent been cracked&mapped yet, or so they say. None of the other tuners have a high psi possibility for the ms45 either.)
The fuel injection might be another problem
I had brought this up previously with my tuner, and he said the reason no one offers the kits is like you said, the ECU hasn't been cracked and mapped. He mapped it himself when he tuned my car. He had assumed the Z4 ECU had already been mapped, and it was time consuming and a huge pain when everything had to be done from scratch. Fortunately he only charged me the standard price. He assured me that it would not be hard to raise the boost now that the base file has been established. He also mentioned the hardware setup on my 2003 car was "only that year, and only that car [Z4]". So, there may even be differences between the Z4's. Or, he could have been messing with me to see how much of it ends up on the forums I do know the MS45.0 on the Z4 is not the same as the MS45.x on the E46.

That being said, I think there is some risk that I could run into tuning issues. Such is the nature of doing a build that no one has done before, and relying on someone else to tell you what they are capable of doing. A high compression Vortech build would at least make more power than stock+Vortech, whereas a low compression twin screw would make less power than stock+ESS. Then again, I could sell a low compression built motor to a TS3-hunting ESS E46...

As far as making power at high or low rpm, detonation is less likely when time at TDC ("dwell time") is minimized. Whether this offsets the risks you mentioned that are associated with high rpm, I don't know. There are so many moving parts, and any one failure can lead to destruction.

I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade the fuel pump, but I'm budgeting for it. If I'm lucky it will be the same as a Z4M (I'd have to check RealOEM).

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo

Last edited by pokeybritches; 02-08-2016 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0