Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Thank you both for the information.

Pokeybritches your goals sound way beyond mine, and dbarton62 yours might as well.

My goal is simple (I think).
- 400ish Crank
- Daily / Track. So power band should be clean.

What should my setup entail? Please guide...
I can advise on the tuning required (MAF scaling, axes scaling, and ignition injection), but you're up against a few hardware challenges:

1. Stock M54B30's have harmonics issues that cause the oil pump nut to back off and engine to fail. I can't imagine forced induction does anything except increase the likelihood of these issues occurring, so you'll want to bulletproof your engine first. ATI super damper and an oil pump solution are the minimum.

2. ARP head studs and MLS head gasket would be ideal.

3. You'll need some sort of intercooler - either a physical intercooler + piping (air-to-air or air-to-water) or water/meth injection. There are no off-the-shelf kits available, so it would be custom. I've considered developing a bolt-on kit if there's enough interest (10+ people).

4. These hardware challenges are in addition to the ones listed in my previous post (MAF is maxed out, injectors are nearing their limits). I'll update this thread once I do some data logging to confirm, but calculations on paper show the MAF is maxed at about 5-6 psi (depending on temperature).

If you want a street-only kit, you can probably get away with 10-12 psi on WMI, tune, and MAF. It's still possible for a tune that's dialed in to exceed the hardware capability of the engine at those boost levels.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo

Last edited by pokeybritches; 11-19-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0