View Single Post
      10-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
After reviewing way too many threads and posts on this topic, I still find myself torn on how to proceed with installing my Euro headers. I'm aware that a few folks haven't had the best success with the relocation (messed up secondary cats) and that's not something I really want to risk.

Typical options
Find a Euro Cat (almost as rare as a unicorn).

Modify the stock US secondary cats. Irreversible, and no guarantee that it will turn out like Pal's install some shop isn't going to do a hack up the cat and leave you with a expensive mess. Seems like if you find a great shop, and do not cut into the wires (expand wires) this seems seems to work fine (but still irreversibly modifies the cat).
What about other options such as:
Add O2 and EGT to the Euro headers themselves in exactly the same spot as the US stock headers. This would leave a set of unmodified stock headers if needed plus a stock secondary cat. Fabspeed and others have both O2s and EGT on the headers themselves (just like stock). With a tune, CEL can be eliminated. (Seems there's a debate on whether the Evolve tune returns a "readiness" code or not though.)

Disconnect the secondary O2s (and keep as spares), and use a tune to eliminate the CEL and provide a "readiness" code. I'm not sure if this is doable. If it were, this would require no modification of the Euro headers, and use a tune to avoid the CEL.
Thoughts? Comments?
The OEM Euro headers are the easiest to tune for and provide consistent, solid gains. In order to be CEL free, which I was for 5K miles prior to getting the evolve catless o2 ready tune requires welding the bung so there are NO LEAKS. I chased a CEL for a month because of a pin hole in weld that I could not even see. To make sure there are no leaks you have to pressurize the pipe and spray soapy water on the welds, leaks blow bubbles, make sure there are none. Unfolding the harness is easy, you just have to take your time and work the wires back the point where you split them off and head down the transmission tunnel. It's not a hard job but, requires attention to detail. I own a welder repair shop and am a decent welder, I can modify the pipe if you like.

PM ME for details.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0