funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Reasons to use the built in NAV:
1. Sick and tired of fat fingering digits into my iPhone and having to enter everything twice
2. No cell coverage at the time so iPhone/Nav can't get the data it needs.
3. I'm headed home from an unfamiliar location and only need directions to the highway (easy to select "home" from address book)
4. I can easily mute the sound on the OEM Nav until the last 5 miles of the trip. Unmuting on a smart phone requires taking eyes off the road for at least 3 seconds. Could be the wrong 3 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I often use my phone for Nav and 'm a WAZE user for long, highway based trips. But to always have your smartphone on your dash/window is a distraction based accident waiting to happen (especially in local driving conditions).
Agree it can be dangerous. I usually either enter the directions manually before I start driving, launch a meeting address from the google calendar, or use voice command to enter directions. I also listen to the google voice guided directions rather than looking at the phone (I don't like the Apple map, so I use the google app to launch google maps). When I want the voice to stop, I cancel the navigation, then restart it when I need it.

a few things for me are:
a) San Francisco traffic. If you don't check traffic, you will get screwed. Theres always a weird traffic jamb, a baseball game or street fair going on somewhere, so my rout is always different based on real time traffic.
b) I'm almost always launching the destination from my email, calendar or web search, not typing it in.

Last edited by funkle; 08-12-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0