View Single Post
      02-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
303 Fabric Guard Application

I could not find anything newer than '08 on this subject. So I will cover my process which I will be doing tomorrow AM. I have taken pics of products and procedures, but I can't figure out how to Get my Google Chrome pics to post onto anything on this site. I will try harder to figure this out. Admin has some info on using a separate photo sharing site. Can anyone give me a simple solution ?......... My 06 Z4MR has just OK water repellency. After much research 303 won me over and was ordered ( along with 303 Aerospace Protectant ) Seems that after reading various detailing sites, which I do on the side, so this is more interesting to me than it probably should be, plus I'm very DETAIL oriented on this car. Or as my GF puts it, I'm obsessed. Anyway...people have 1) different application methods and 2) have overspray/cleanup problems, as the product dries quickly and can tend to smear on paint/glass I did my prep cleaning with mild car soap, lightly bushed in/rinsed a few days ago. Top must be dry. Today I vacuumed with shop vac. Used wide brush attachment then smaller brush/extractor attachment. Bristles are much shorter and stiffer on second attachment. Then I used a lint roller. 4 sheets. Took shots of how much black fuzzies came up on the paper. Will go over again in the AM, just to be sure everything not attached is off the top. I then covered the top in painters 3.5mm plastic tarp. A swarm of flying aphids starting landing on the top as soon as I finished with the lint roller. AARRGGG ! Used a new masking tape by Frogtape. It has " EDGE TECHNOLOGY " that acts as a barrier to latex paint. It's says MULTISURFACE, it's edges will leave some marks if you set it down on the paint. As I unexpectedly found out. I like try new things, we'll see how well it does to stop 303. Leaking through tape is what others had mentioned. Not realizing it, the 303 then bleeds through onto trim, paint and glass. It can be difficult to then remove. I'm going to spray/then brush-in, the big areas and brush the edges, so I basically covered the whole car in plastic. I cut a length from the middle of the rear glass, around the car and back to the other half of the back glass. I've had this box for years, it comes in handy for so many uses. The box is 3600 sq ft total. 9ft X 400ft. Tomorrow I will open the top slightly, and wrap the car in complete protection, then drop the top onto the plastic. The product suggested a well ventilated area. My 1930's garage is open air on the front. I will spray in the garage, unless there is no wind in the AM, then do the brushing at first light. Takes 6-12 hours to cure/dry, so I'm all set for the AM. Supposed to be 75 and Sunny ( love FL in Feb ) light winds, little foggy in the AM. May wait a bit if it is dewy fog.
Appreciate 0