Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
z3.2mc, I bought myself a set of used OEM mufflers and I'm going to attempt to do the mod this weekend.

What did you use to cut the lid off? Any other suggestions seeing how you've done this once?
i used a rotozip with a 90* head on it. bosch makes cutting wheels good for 15-20k rpm that are fairly inexpensive (lowes ~ $3/ea). i used a total of 13 wheels to do both mufflers inside and out. do not exceed the max speed of the cutting wheels as they have a tendency to fly apart with the speed of a coked-up mongoose, sending shrapnel directly past your head and burying themselves into the garage wall behind you. the rotozip is great on the inside as well, but most of the heavy cutting inside was ultimately handled by my sawzall.

when cutting the lid, you'll notice 6 spot welds (2 rows of 3). i found it was easier for later reassembly to cut out each row entirely, in a long strip, rather than cut out each individual spot weld.

make sure you wear leather gloves and long sleeves when you handle the glass packing. and eye protection at all times!!! also, my wife was upset with me over the missing dust mask on my face... especially so after hacking up black stuff... so maybe one of those too.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim

Last edited by v3.2mc; 03-15-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0