View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #259
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Hey Guys, I'm intrigued by this. I picked up an '06 M Roadster (Canada) recently, and this looks very very interesting. I've read most of the thread, and one thing that caught my eye (sorry for the slight thread derail) is that the stock ECU has updates from the dealer? Is there any way to tell if it has the latest version? What is involved in updating the ECU to the latest "factory" firmware first?

I dislike (putting it mildly) my local BMW dealership. There is a BMW independent guy that seems decent, but would he be able to do the upgrades? Is there any disadvantage to doing the upgrade? By "upgrade", I'm referring to the stock ECU ("BMW Official" firmware). I'd like to get to the latest/(best?) version before I do any tuning.

Additionally, is there a procedure to "reset" the learned program. I know other cars have a key/throttle dance you can do to have it start relearning the driving patterns.

After getting the latest stock firmware, are there any "disadvantages" to doing this ECU tune? Obviously warranty isn't in play anymore, but what about service from the dealer?

Sorry for the noob-ness of the questions; this is my second BMW, but the first that I've considered playing with.
Appreciate 0