View Single Post
      06-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #144
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I decided to put mine on this evening. They fit perfectly. It's the first time in a while I've installed an aftermarket anything without some sort of pain in the ass. I checked for leaks by feeling around the joint with the engine idling, and didn't feel anything. Also, even stock the floating flanges were not bolted flush. There was a 1/8" gap or so. With the stromungs, the gap is larger (maybe 1/4"), but it's plenty tight. At least with mine, there would be no chance of getting the flanges flush unless you forgot to put in the metal sealing ring. You'd snap the bolts first.

The Stromungs end up saving 16 lbs total compared to the stock cans. Sound ls nice, but imho, quite subdued. On the highway cruising at 70, I could hardly tell they were there at all. I didn't hear anything that you could even begin to call a "drone". I listened carefully at engine rpms of 2000-3000, and couldn't hear squat. I could only tell the new mufflers were there at all when accelerating on the highway. Vicj, did you check for exhaust leaks by actually feeling for them with the motor running? There has to be one someplace.

All in all, I'm very pleased. They will be a lot easier to live with than the Buschur turboback I had on my STi. But that made an additional 40hp with the accompanying tune, so I guess you take the good with the bad...
Appreciate 0