View Single Post
      07-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I was at Laguna on May 31st with BMW CCA Golden Gate. I am contemplating taking a flight up to SacTown, rent a beater, and driving up for THill in November for BMW CCA Golden Gate's event using the full 4.8 mile course. I try to get up there as much as I can to help, but unless it's a weekend at say, Laguna, and I can take advantage by bringing the missus along, it's getting difficult to justify taking 3 days off for 1 day on the track.

As for incidents like the one at Streets of Willow, the first thing I do at any event is survey the paddocks in the morning if it's with a group I haven't ran with (sometimes even with a group I'm familiar with). If all the attendees arrive at the driver's meeting on time, with a well organized driver's meeting going over the basics, if everyone in the paddocks is diligent checking the basic hardware, if the hardware appears to be well maintained (doesn't matter how old or ratty the car looks), if the participants appear to know what they're doing, rather than a bunch of guys sitting around talking about how fast they go through turn 9 before the first run group is even out, then I would feel confident going out there (while keeping my vigilance up, of course).

If the organizers talk mainly about how to attach your transponders, or fail to go over some of the most basic of on-track safety no matter how many times the attendees have heard it, or if the cars in the paddock has more money thrown at it than the car's worth, and all done POORLY like someone's cousin did it in their backyard with adjustable pipe wrenches, if the majority of the cars in the paddock has race seats with 3 point harnesses running on R-Comps, if the participants "warm up" their tires by swerving back and forth IN THE PADDOCKS or do burn-outs...Probably a good sign you should walk away.

As an occasional event organizer myself, I'm not going to point any fingers since I have had my own share of trouble on the organization front. No one is perfect. There are plenty of cases where incidents could have and should have been avoided though with just the right amount of prep and emphasis on safety. I remember one of the private events I put on, the Chief Instructor, the first words out of his mouth in the morning meeting was "Can any of you here tell me which one of the corners on this track is worth $40,000?" That was one of the most uneventful day as far as an event organizer is concerned. NOBODY stepped out of line.

Like I said, the most basic, most simple rule of thumb for me is, if it's not listed on Lockton's HPDE Insurance site as an event they would insure, I wouldn't go. I doubt Lockton would insure any event/organizer where they'd expect multiple incidents that they'd have to pay out.

I will mention, that HOD ran events are pretty high up there in terms of safety and organization. If I can't go to CCA events at a particular track, the next group I'd look at is Driving Concept Incorporated (although, the organizer moved to Texas and now mainly do Competition License Schools only) and HOD.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0