View Single Post
      05-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There's nothing wrong with tracking the Z4 roadster, except a lot of organizations won't allow it due to the fear and liability inherent in an open top car in the event of an incident involving a roll over. TC Kline used to race a pair of Z4 Roadsters with a full cage and was moderately competitive in class.

Check with the organizations you will be participating with to see what their rules are in regards to roadsters and convertibles.
SCCA allows the Z4 in their PDX events and their Track Night in America Events, NASA allows them in their HPDE events (I believe you have to be on street tires), and some PCA chapters allow them because of their "Boxster rule". (The Boxster rollover hoops are very similar to the Z4). I've been looking on and off for quite a while for a "bolt in" roll bar set up for the Z4R and haven't found anything. Everything's been custom and I've only seen one to date on a UK Z4 that didn't require really chopping up the interior panels. If you can find a Z4C 3.0si with a manual tranny that's probably your best economical choice. It'll have enough power to be fun on the track, and you won't get hit with the Z4MC price premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of rollbars for the Z4R? I can't find anything online so it seems the Z4R isn't too popular of a platform with a good community for support.
The Z4 is a bit of an orphan with respect to W2W racing. You can have a lot of fun with it on the track if you're looking at your own lap times or in a PDX/HPDE environment, but if you want to move up to TT or even W2W it's not the platform just simply because there aren't enough owner's looking to do that with their Z4 so there's no class for it per se.

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-25-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0