11-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
There are some looking for $36k for 2006 40k miles clean title. You can argue both ways quite frankly.

They are asking $26k for this one. Most likely negotiable. Vehicles aren't investments, there is obviously a limit on cost, but a well rebuilt vehicle (especially a rare breed) can fetch as much as a non-salvaged vehicle. I've seen this with Porsche 997s and Ferrari. Usually, the rebuilding facility documents ad nauseum which helps legitimize the sale price.

I've never been keen on purchasing a vehicle because of its resell value.
Asking and getting are two different things. I also wouldn't pay $36k for a 2006 with 40k miles on it (maybe someday). In the original post you said they are asking $30k.

I agree vehicles aren't investments but also don't see any reason to pay more than they are worth.

Without massive modifications to the origininal why would a well rebuilt vehicle ever sell for as much as a non rebuilt? I can't see them ever putting it back together better than it was OEM and the likely hood that it isn't as good as OEM are there.

I do consider the resale value on anything expensive that I buy. It's an indication of what it is worth now.
Appreciate 0