12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
I to did this after I first got my M Coupe. Because of driving an E30 M3 with a light weight flywheel, the shifting was far different on the M Coupe. After a few weeks I finally realized that shifting from 1st to 2nd at rpm lower than 4500 was the biggest problem. If you watch the tach you will see the engine RPMs drop 2000 VERY quickly when you push the clutch in. I rev up to 5000 in first then shift to second. All other gears to at least 4500, the transmission just seems to like that better.
Exactly. The revs drop very quickly. The trick, if you want to shift at lower RPMs, is to keep a bit of throttle in play while shifting With that approach (and the CDV delete), I can shift at 2,800 RPM 1st - 2nd smoothly. Rather than lifting the right foot, I just relax my foot/ankle a bit, and the result is a bit like heel/toe (obviously w/o the brake).

The car seems to like higher revs just like you said, but with a very cold engine (and cold outside temps), I prefer to keep things a bit lower in the rev range for few minutes until the fluids have a chance to warm up a little bit. Just a personal "thing" I have with my cold warm up process. YMMD.
Appreciate 0