View Single Post
      06-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
etane
Rep
Drives: '03 Zed 3.0

Do I need new Strut Mounts?

Hello:

For awhile now, my car has been making a bit of a creaking noise whenever it goes up or down a curb. Months ago, I had my mechanic give my car check it out when I was replacing my front tires and got a front alignment done. He said he didn't find anything.

Last month, I had some body repair done, and the body shop owner told me the nuts connecting the strut mounts were a bit loose which could cause the creaking sound. He said he tightened them up just a little. And, the creaking sound did get reduced. He said he didn't want to tighten them too much as they don't have an alignment machine to ensure he doesn't screw the alignment up.

So, yesterday, I got an oil change done, and I told my mechanic what the bodyshop guy told me. He then inspected the shock mounts personally and told me that they need to be replaced. And, while they are getting replaced, I should get the struts replaced too.

He quoted me $52 for each strut mount but $287 each for a strut. This total plus labor and tax comes up to $940. He said there's a chance the struts will come through the strut mounts if they are not replaced.

That's quite a big difference in the tune he's singing from just a few months ago when he told me the car is find and dandy.

Anyways, I took a pic of the strut mount.

Notice there is traces of movement around the nuts. And, there's a crack on the strut mount.

Anyways, is the mechanic right that I need new mounts and perhaps new struts? Or, is the bodyshop guy right in that I just need to tighten the screws? BTW, I have a 2003 Z3 3.0 with close to 44k miles.

Thanks,

ed
Appreciate 0