View Single Post
      03-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #63
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

my car has been on the dyno for a couple of days now with some stumbling blocks. My dyno last summer with the smaller pulley was with MS109 race gas. Apparently the smaller pulley I had was making to much boost for 93 octane in order to make a nice smooth power curve. The tq numbers and power are very impressive until 6000rpm which is peak tq as high as 320 and then the power falls off with a shit load of timing being pulled. The ecu starts adding timing back in but the car only recovers back to 400-405 whp. So you get a pop of tq to 6000rpm(which feels good on the street) and then timing gets yanked out for a top end power sacrifice. I put the original 7psi pulley back in and reset ecu adaptations yesterday and the power curve returned to a smooth line up to 408whp without water/meth, but this comes with a compromise to tq. The water/meth system is working great and we didn't have time to use it with the 7psi pulley, but holly shit with the 8-9 psi pulley the water/meth tq was F'n unreal!. The problem is this causes the ecu to say"nope! that's all you get son" and pulls timing at 6000rpm for top end power loss. The only way around this is to either run at least 100 octane, straight meth, or drop compression with new internals to keep the curve smooth and avoid timing retard. With the 50/50 water/meth and largest spray nozzle the octane doesn't increase enough to prevent timing retard, but it definitely! and I mean definitely cools the air intake charge.

I'm doing another dyno this morning with the original 7psi pulley and water/meth to see if we cant pick up another 40 or 50 hp with a smooth power curve. I will post up pictures of the install later today and will include dyno graphs. When this tank of 93 octane is empty I will do another dyno with race gas and water/meth with 8-9 psi pulley and see what numbers can be had. Should be fun...enjoy

Last edited by fr8tdog; 03-30-2011 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0