View Single Post
      12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Back to the ticking questions...

OK, Mirko and I adjusted my valves a couple of weeks ago thinking the ticking I heard was the valves. We didn't have to adjust many and not by much. The ticking is still there so let me describe...

Happens under load (while driving) only and comes on around 3,000rpm. I have noticed that if I am under hard acceleration, it does come on around 3k but actually starts to fade by 4k (unless the engine is just too loud to hear the ticking anymore, not sure). It does not tick when I am parked and revving up and beyond that range. It is usually not as prevalent when the engine is cold.

I have been reading some about the vanos issues but am still a little foggy. I did take it in to the BMW dealership and a tech came out with me. He didn't think it was vanos saying that these issues usually take place at idle but I believe I have read otherwise. Help me understand if this could be vanos and if so, when do you need to start worrying about this kind of ticking?

I have also heard the s54 is just a noisy engine. Could this kind of tick just be normal? If so, I am a pretty picky guy and would like to reduce it as much as possible.

I should say that when Mirko and I were done the adjustment, I did start it up and put the stethoscope to the engine and really couldn't here much more than what I would classify as normal solid lifter ticking as I used to hear on older engines. I also replaced the spark plugs to NGKs.

Any other ideas/thoughts/tips/comments?
Appreciate 0