View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I grew up in the Detroit area and was a car owner there from the late 60's through the late 80's. For most owners the first place they would go after buying a new car was to Ziebart to have their car "rust proofed". I don't remember it being a grease, but a black, tarry substance that was not only sprayed on the entire undercarriage of the car, but holes were drilled in doors, fenders, and trunk lids to spray inside those cavities.

The worse part was doing any maintenance on a car that had been "rust proofed". That stuff had to be scraped off any nuts or bolts, parts were coated in it, and it was basically just a completely messy job. The first car I ever bought after a couple of hand-me-downs from my parents was a '66 Ford Fairlane that I bought in 1969. I was only 19 and unknown to me the left front fender had been replaced because of an accident. It hadn't been properly primed or rust proofed and was rusted through by 1971. I used to just sell my cars after 60,000 miles to avoid any problems with rust. I had a new '74 Toyota Celica GT that I kept for 80,000 miles and the front fenders were rusted through. As manufacturers starting offering better and longer warranties against rust rust proofing became less popular.

I sure don't miss that!

Appreciate 0