View Single Post
      12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
mgoodnight
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 Coupe

Storage help needed.

I have a 2008 Coupe (not an M) and am looking to store it from now until late spring. Don't want the snow and salt on it (I live in Michigan, where the salt trucks are plentiful)

I have already started doing some things. Have the car cleaned, fluids topped off, fuel stabilizer in.

I have a couple of questions about tires, suspension and battery.

I know I need to get the weight off the tires, but I don't want to leave the suspension uncompressed. I have a floor jack and jack stands but want to know how to get the weight off the tires without leaving the uncompressed and without load.

Now, the battery. I have heard to leave the battery on a trickle or a float charger but have a few questions on this.
1) Do I or should I remove the battery from the car. I think there are components that need constant power and am concerned if I remove the battery, I will need to get it all reprogrammed.
2) If I do remove the battery, is there any special way to do so such that I don't accidently set off the airbags (that would suck)
3) Is one or the other better....trickle or float charger?
4) Is there any fire hazzard with leaving the battery on the charger over long periods of time?

thanks for your help guys.

I love this car.
Appreciate 0