View Single Post
      05-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #40
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I agree with almost everything you said. That being said I came from the Nissan community before getting the Z4M. I had a heavily modified FI Nissan show car. One thing I've noticed is that even for relatively unpopular nissans, the modifications on BMWs are way out of proportion to what they were on Nissans for what is in my opinion similar quality products. I have no problems spending money on mods (given that I spent roughly 35K in parts alone on my last car but I don't think the parts are fairly priced or worth it in most cases. I think the aftermarket guys are milking the fact that they are making parts for BMWs and if you were to look at those companies that also produce parts for none BMWs you may find the prices quite different because like you said this is a 50K car and therefore they have decided you should pay more. Perhaps if these companies priced their parts a little more competitively, more Z4M buyers would buy the products and they wouldn't have to rely on a fewer owners to make larger profits from.

With all that said, I think this ECU flash/scoop/filter is a bargain if you look at the dollar per hp gain.
I think the price of mods would only be lower if the company selling the product knew they could sell a high volume. The problem with the Z4M is that they know there is only a small community that own one and a even smaller group that would ever mod it so the return on investment would need to come from a much smaller group of customers. This is the same conversations I have had with the guys at ESS. This is also why most tuners will never make products for our cars.
Appreciate 0