Thread: Z4 Trim Swap
View Single Post
      07-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 89' 325is x2

I just pulled the small piece and large piece on the dash with the help of this forum and other DIY's. A couple tips that I didn't find clear before:

For the vent removal, mine was subborn and did not want to slide out after pulling those 2 silver clips. What is most likely causing friction is the 2 bottom corner plastic pieces inside the vent. Use a flashlight to see them. They are tappered (small in front and gets larger in the back). While both top silver clips are pushed down, use a thin flathead screw driver to lift up on the bottom corner of those tappered pieces. I managed to do this by myself but having 2 people would really help.
To make it a one person job, I first used a flat head to pull down one of the silver top clips, shoved a plastic card between the trim and top of vent to hold that clip down, repeat on other side, lift up gently on one side of the bottom corner tappered piece, pull vent out a centimeter, repeat on other side, pull vent out completely.

For the main dash piece, just note the first clip on the passenger side needs to be removed from behind the dash before pulling. First I put a small flashlight inside the passenger cupholder spot and took a picture with my phone to see what I was dealing with, I like to understand how something goes together before getting all ape like and tearing things apart. So for the clip, it was at an odd angle to use a tool for me but I ended up just pushing the bottom "V" part of the clip up with my fingers. If you can compress that "V" and push up at the same time it will be easier. The rest of the clips are more traditional for this car and I used a bit of muscle to pull the trim away from the dash with those clips still on. Make sure to go back inside the dash and pick up any clips that were left there. I was nervous about cracking the wood trim but after looking at the build quailty and structurability, I would be less worried in the future.

Going to wrap them in silver CF wrap and put them back in before doing the center console. Hope to have it done sometime this weekend. Any tips for the center console?

I've put this project off after buying the CF and the wood doesn't bother me as much anymore but atleast now my sports car will have a sporty interior and the silver CF will go better with the rest of my silver door and steering wheel pieces.

Edit: I didn't see your post until now psygnosis. You and I are talking about that same clip on the pasenger side of the dash.
Appreciate 0