06-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #30
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
after George, I probably put the most miles on my Z4m ESS-VT2-525 kit. About 40-50k miles on it, with the car at 87k miles now.

With a supercharger, you can get the top ESS or VF kit, and then add 2-3 more psi with custom pulleys, injectors, and tune, and be pretty close to 475rwp in the cold. The kits are very ambient temperature sensitive, feels like a 50hp difference between 40* ambient and 90* ambient honestly.

Now with about 430rwhp, 1st gear you can put down 50% throttle. 2nd gear you can put down 90% of it. 3rd gear 100%. This is on 275/35/18 Bridgestone RE-11 tires, that I've cut a 1.86s 60 foot time. Your quarter mile times will be high 11s if you're a great drive, or low 12s. A car that will hang with a stock new Stingray.

So thats what you can expect with a well tuned, top end of the supercharger kits.
1st gear - super fun, very short, an excercise in restraint
2nd gear - wow much fun, just enough slip to make it fun, but accelerate strong. Punch it at 4,000rpm and you'll get a kick in the chest up to 8,000rpm. Most impressive gear
3rd gear - long weightless feeling of acceleration, not as punchy unless you're in sport mode. Kinda exciting, but not scary
4th gear - smooth power, pulls decently from 80-120 or so. Nice for highway pulls because you don't have to shift. Dispatches many V8 sports cars. Not scary. Not punchy acceleration. No kick in the pants

With a turbo, I'd think the first 2 gears would be like 50% power, 3rd gear 75% power, and strong punchy torque in 4th gear. Definitely more kick up in highway speeds, but a lot less usable on the street. I sometimes wish I had more "scary" power on the highway, but I don't want to spend another $30k to get it.
I have the VT2-500 but with euro catless headers and a catless Spipe and i am seeing the same numbers as you.

I even rebuilt my engine with vanos parts, ARP fasteners and WPC rod bearings and VAC 20% extra flow pump, I use Mobil1 0w40 oil with that.

The ESS kit is very very reliable, it has never let me down once

If you want some piece of mind, you can go with the ESS kit blindly
Appreciate 0