03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #30
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
As far as I am aware the DCT and manual transmissions attached the S65 (I don't actually know which model name) are the same dimensions where they bolt in. So a mount I make for DCT should work with manual. If you guys are serious about doing this swap too I'll buy a 6 speed transmission to make sure and take the time to R&D.

Who all would commit to something like this? If you were to go 6 speed, you would not need to do many funky electronics stuff and the swap kit would be driveshaft, tranny mounts, engine mounts, and probably a few other small brackets and screws here or there. Perhaps a modified engine harness to get everything to work with Z4 electronics. As I develop this I'll note down what is needed.

Swapping in a 6 speed S65 is actually an incredibly intelligent move for this chassis. It's lighter than the S54, performs better than the S54, and distributes weight better. It leaves more room in the engine bay for many additions.
With the 6 speed it might be possible of going the route of not integrating all the e9x modules into the e86 since you don't have to worry about the DCT ECU/integration. If I remember correctly when Rogue engineering did the S62 V8 into their Z4 (non-M) Roadie they had a shop called North East Motorsport wire the z4 harness into the S62 DME. Then used INPA to work out the coding.

I know our DME is different from the E46 M3 DME but I also understand that it is very similar to the S85 DME which I assume is sorta close to the S65 one.

My brother was saying he talked to a guy at SEMA that worked for a shop in Chicago that did an S85 into an E46 and the guy also mentioned that it would be even easier doing it into an E86 M because of how alike the DME's are.

I agree the V8 is such an interesting swap for this car because it drops weight and moves the engine further back in the chassis.

You're car is going to be a monster even with out the blower!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0