10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I'm happy with my evolve tune. But bang for the buck I'd do euro headers before tune (and possibly gearing, haven't installed mine yet but I imagine 10% torque will make a more noticeable difference than a tune).
Do both - and intake. Headers give a great gain on their own (getting rid of a set of cats) but in conjunction with a proper tune it gets even better and allows you to extract the most out of your intake/exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
Hmm, real tune should be done on a dyno, especially if you change the intake/exhaust.
I felt the same way as you, because that's the standard way of doing it (datalogging etc). However after a chat with AJ @ ESS, it's something having to do with BMW's adaptability that a custom tune isn't really necessary over a 'canned' tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Now only if we can get someone local with ESS tune to go to AGP we'd have three different M's with three different tunes run on the same dyno by the same guy at the same shop!

On a side note, interesting to see the gains of your AA/Supersprint mods vs. my Evolve/intake/exhaust combo...

You yielded 295rwhp and 243rwt and I got 289rwhp and 240rwt. Wonder what I would get if I had headers/X-pipe added...
May be the same dyno at the shop, but a small difference in temperature, barometric pressure etc etc can vary the results. Peak HP/TQ #'s are virtually meaningless. There's so much variance between Dynojet/Dynapack/Mustang readings that the only thing worth considering is the difference between your own pulls with/without your particular tune (done in close proximity to each other). Dynapack dyno's are also known to be quite 'liberal' in their readings.
Appreciate 0