Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
I'm going to be the a-hole and come out and say that your bushings aren't going to "solve" this. Because you're now trying to re-create the "problem" (which is changing, subconsciously, how you work the clutch just the slightest bit) you will not, as a result, be able to reproduce it. In fact, you're actually solving the problem by your deliberate attempts and resulting subconcious adjustment. The problem is in the synchros and the speed at which they engage (which is why a fraction of a fraction of a second of added pause with the clutch in or slipping the clutch the tinyest bit solves the problem). After you install the bushings, once you relax and settle back into your driving habits, you'll start grinding again.
The synchros are always engaged, no? they don't move when selecting other ratios, only the fork does. The bushings will not solve the notchiness, which I agree, is BMW's "design" but the denial under load was indeed solved, which was my goal. I never had any grinding of any kind, just a really bad inconsistency. Many BMWs suffer from this condition, ask anyone with an E36 M3 how fast they changed their bushings