01-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Well I do have a long way to go before I get to chipping the car, for now I would want to concentrate of the other stuff. Can you tell me something about the K&N air filter I linked from ebay in an earlier comment?

I found this company called Akrapovic, here is a link of an exhaust on the 335i, too bad they do not make one for the Z4, this thing has a killer sound!!!!

Actually, on the Supersprint website there is a muffler with dual pipes which I believe is for the 06-08s, it is after all in the category saying: BMW Z4 Roadster / Coupé LHD 3.0si (265 Hp) '06 –›, so I reckon it should fit. Here is a link for the
category, you can see the dual pipe muffler on the second row down: http://www.supersprint.com/USP0000bmwZ46.asp
I'm aware of Akrapovic, at least coming from the motorcycle side... and yea, it's a shame they don't have something for us. In regards to the Supersprint muffler you're referring to, I think you should be a fine. Quick glance shows p/n:

2007 Z4 3.0si - 022 981 306 (Street Muffler w/ Round Tips)
2004 Z4 3.0i - 022 788 106 (Street Muffler w/ Round Tips)

Just make sure the same logic applies to the midpipe, etc (different p/n for different years).

Can't really comment on the filter as I haven't used it in our cars but I'm a firm believer the stock filter/airbox is pretty efficient. I only mentioned the ITG filter b/c its foam design allows more flow than stock but not at the cost of less filtration. But again, I'm not sure if they have a filter for our cars.

K&N filters typically require you to re-oil but if you overdo it, it could screw up the MAF. Of course, the flip side is don't screw up, and give the filter plenty of time to dry. But for me, the benefits of K&N filter wasn't better flow, or more hp but just the fact that you could reuse it and save money. I never really saw it as a performance mod. I think what you posted is a drop-in filter, which in that case might be comparable to the ITG filter.

If money is no object and you're trying to spend every dollar for ever last bit of hp, you could look into the Gruppe M filter, which is a carbon fiber enclosed box, but expect to pay $1200 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
It's too bad Dinan doesn't make a 3.0si exhaust. The N52 330i exhaust sounds pretty good:

Btw, if anyone cares I posted a brand new Dinan exhaust (muffler) for sale in the classifieds. End of day, a muffler is just a muffler and I highly doubt this Dinan is that specific to the m54 - it's really only from a fitment standpoint. So if you're OK with that, you could just buy that and have any exhaust shop mod it to fit, similar to what I did with the Stebro. Just modify the hangers and mate it up to your existing pipe... and that might require an adapter as well.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-14-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0