01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
!!!! Thank you very much for that info. I do have to say that the dual exhaust conversion would be mostly for cosmetic purposes, I just like the look. Anyway, that is just optional for now. I know of the Eisenmann's dual kit, but I wanted to make it split at the x-pipe, be a proper right exhaust, not just to split from the first muffler.

Now we come to the chip. I have looked around a couple sites and on average they offer 20bhp. I hope that the AA chip would give an increase of over 8hp, especially when combined with the exhaust and air filter. In any case I do not see a reason why it would give less than the other chips. There are a number of local, to Bulgaria, companies that offer custom chips based on the specific car, however, I feel like I cannot trust them with my car, for some reason I feel like they do not know exactly what they are doing. One of the companies is called Digital Tuning, if anyone has heard of them I would appreciate some comments on the quality of their work.

20hp seems awfully generous and in general from my experience, you rarely see such gains on a n/a motor. Even 8-10hp is pretty good for n/a. You should ask for proof (Dyno charts) for whoever is offering 20hp gains. But AA is a pretty reputable company so I find it hard to believe that another tuner could give you double the gains. And if they did, it goes along with your initial concern about engine longevity. The only other thing I can think of is that the US Z4 has different emission standards so I know even as a baseline starting point, our cars put out 10hp less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
BTW, why do you say that the Supersprint muffler would not look right on the Z4?
Because I've seen it, and it does not look right =) Check the pictures below, someone else's car. He didn't seem to mind but I personally would not want this gap. Check Supersprint's website, IF they offer DIFFERENT part numbers on mufflers for 03-05 vs 06-08, then you should be fine. But when I last checked, they were offering 1 part number for both models, and one size fits all is NEVER the case. I assume headers should work b/c I believe they do offer different part numbers for 03-05 vs 06-08.

Also this sounds right because when I was first in the market for an exhaust, I encountered the SAME problem when I purchased my Stebro muffler. Those were originally designed for 03-05 and I was told by the company it would fit 06-08. Sure enough after attempting to install it, it hung way too low and I had to modify the hangers in order to raise it up. For the amount of money you're spending on a Supersprint, I would expect perfect or near perfect fitment. And FYI, I've compared the stock exhaust for 03-05 vs 06-08 and it's way different -- the piping diameter, bends, etc are all different so it makes sense that whatever's specific to 03-05 would not fit well on 06-08.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-14-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0