View Single Post
      03-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
ghahat
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M

thud when shifter goes from 2nd to 3rd

hi everyone

have a 2006 z4mR, with 17700Km, been on the road for 3 years at the end of this month.

i noticed recently that when the car is moving, and i press the clutch then move the shifter around i get thuds from the diff. bmw changed the diff mounts under warranty, and this made a huge difference, but i still get the following:

when the car is moving, and i have the car in 2nd, i fully press the clutch (can wait a few seconds also), then when i move the shifter quickly to 3rd, i get a thud from the diff (foot still fully depressing the clutch). seems like i hit a metal snag in the path of shifter (some kind of object that feels quite close to the shifter knob, just under my wrist) when moving quickly, and it moves out of the way in about a half a sec, then the motion completes without the thud. if i move the shifter quickly, and push through this thing (does not take too much effort, feels like a mild grind) then i get that thud sound from the diff.

it does not happen if i slow the shifter motion down a bit. the thud does not come on release from 2nd, only on entering 3rd

struggling to find out what this can be, my warranty expires Mar 27. i thought synchros or guibo, but bmw said they are fine. also car is fine once in gear, no pop outs or vibrations, in the drivetrain or the shifter.

could it be the shifter fork (just saw a recent post mentioning this but for another issue)?

i can move the shifter as fast as i want in other gears (some mild hint of this 1st to 2nd, and a little in 3rd to 4th) but i just get this in 2nd to 3rd

thanks for any help
Appreciate 0