View Single Post
      08-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #101
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Sport Button Update

I just want to bring everyone up to date on the Sport Button mod. The last status was that I had the Sport Button installed using the existing cable harness. There was a major improvement in the throttle response and a more aggressive shifting pattern. I thought I noticed a small change in the steering presure. The main issue appeared to be that the LED did not come on when the button was pushed. In an effort to figure out the problem I procured CarSoft 6.5, BavarianTechnic Diagnostic Tool and the GT1. It's amazing what you can find out with a little leg work. Running diagnostics with the GT1, I am able to see the DME respond to the Sport Button. It actually shows the button toggle on and off. However, the EPS (electric power steering) says the Sport Button is always OFF. The DMS talks directly to the EPS via the D_CAN bus. At the same time the DMS talks to the transmission via the same D_CAN bus. Using Carsoft, I see the transmission respond the the Sport Button by changing from the A Drive program to the S Drive program. The DME talks the Instrument cluster via the same D_CAN bus and I see SD come up on the cluster. So the issues appears to be the EPS module not responding to the data from the DME. I used the GT1 to update the EPS module to the latest revision BUT... The real issue is the Vehicle Order (VO) number... The GT1 uses this VO# to select the updates. My VO# says I don't have Sport Mode. So this is where I am tonight. The GT1 will allow me to modify my VO# but I first have to decode it.... Once I figure out which numbers are for the Sport Mode, I should be able to change them in the VO# and do a new update that should allow that light to come on... OR I could still be spinning my wheels... btw, none of the Dealers will even talk to me... I'm sure they think I'm nuts... But for me, this is what's fun... I'll keep you posted...

btw if anyone has a list of the 3 digit vehicle order numbers, it sure would be helpful...

Thanks, Chuck I
Appreciate 0