View Single Post
      01-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think I have a semi-related question. Is a Z4M "valve adjustment" the same thing as this "VANOS" issue? My Z has 24k miles and I was thinking of having the valves adjusted at the shop this spring. Do I also need to ask them to check on something to do with the VANOS? (And no, I have little clue as to what a VANOS is, besides hearing about it on this forum. I'm a sales guy...no mechanical experience.) Thanks!
The short answer is NO, they're totally different. They're in the same neighborhood, but they would be two different "operations", even though there is some labor overlap.

Here's a decent thread about the VANOS bolts.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407826

Basically from what I've gathered over the last couple days, when you have the valve cover off to check the valve lash you should try and wiggle the cam sprockets. If there's any movement (per the thread), then you should reconsider your options there.. However, if everything seems tight it seems best to just leave it alone..

Adjusting the valves is a required service where the VANOS may or may not give you issues. Fortunately you need to be under the valve cover to check the valves every 25k or so. As long as you check the cam sprockets every time you're in there, you should be able to replace the bolts long before it gives you an issue, if it ever is an issue.
Appreciate 0