View Single Post
      03-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
I got the P-car bug late last year. Sold my Z4 Coupe and got a 911. The 911 is amazing - the realization of a boyhood dream in many ways, but I will always miss the Z4. I wish I could have kept both. That said, there's nothing like a Porsche and your choice of the new Cayman is shaping up to be something quite spectacular.

Personally I would wait a year or two and get one used. I was thinking about a 981 Boxster, but every time I configured it the way that I wanted, I was north of $80k. Porsche cars devalue like a mofo during the first few years. I picked my used 2009 911, with warranty out to September 2015 for over $30k less than sticker. I get to drive it for a couple of years with peace of mind and then if I am done with it I'll be able to sell it for $5-10k less than I bought it. That's a hell of a lot less than the new car depreciation would have been.

Good luck with your choice though. Life is good when you are in a position to get one of these cars. I am sure you have done your homework, but if you haven't seen these reviews make sure you watch them asap. The new Cayman look phenomenal.

And here's a pic of my new girl just to finish up.

I also went thought the 981S vs. used 911 debate. The problem for me is that CPO 2010 and up 911's go for upwards of $80000 here in the great white north. I am contemplating a bare bones cayman S that will be less pricely than that and for that I get a brand new car with warranty for 4 years instead of CPO warranty for maybe 3 years at best. I also like the option of buying an extended warrany for the cayman at 3 years and keeping it another 3 years if I feel so inclined. I don't have that option with a CPO 911.

As for depreciation, I am not sure the cayman is going to depreciate any faster than a CPO 911. The 911's tend to lose their value significantly when they get off warranty.

Your 911 is beautiful. A 911 has always been a childhood dream of mine as well. Maybe one day.

How would compare the 911 to the 3.0SI? Driving my SI always brings a grin to my face and so I was amazed at how much better the 981 was at doing that.
Appreciate 0