Thread: The tire thread
View Single Post
      06-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'm running Nitto NT05's all around on the track. 245/35/19 fronts, and 275/30/19 rears. ~35 psi hot up front, and ~33 psi hot out back.
They are very good tires both on and off the track. I can only compare them to three other tires I've run on the track before:
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's
2) General Exclaim UHPs
and
2) Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs

The NT05s are on par, if not better than the Star Specs. The Eagle F1s and the General Exclaim UHPs in contrast, were more suitable for the street. They got greasy at the track, which isn't a big surprise, since they're one or two performance categories lower than the other two tires mentioned.
I ran the Generals in the pouring rain before @ Laguna Seca, and that was quite the experience. They are not shitty tires by any means. In fact, I felt that they communicated quite well!

I chose the NT05's because they were the cheapest good 19" tire in the extreme performance category (just under R-compounds) that I could find. They hold up well to abuse and do not have any sign of greasiness especially if you drive smoothly. They're also quite compliant on the street with very mannered road noise, comfort, and more importantly, treadwear.
If price weren't an issue, I'd definitely try out Yoko AD08s, Bridgestone RE-11s, etc.
But seeing as how I'm quite enjoying the NT05s, I might also look into the NT05Rs, which are R-compound versions of the regular NT05
Appreciate 0