View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Follow up: took it into the dealer that Saturday, and the noise disappeared for the day. The tech looked over the the car, and in the notes was "could not reproduce, tightened sway bar firewall bolts." I suspected this wouldn't solve anything, as I dealt with the same "clunking" noise a few weeks prior.

I just took the car back to the dealer again today, and fortunately, I was able to reproduce it for both the service manager and same tech from before. They just finished looking at it and here's what happened.

They called me back, saying the problem came from having aftermarket brakes installed (Cool Carbon brakes). From the service advisor, I was given the usual "only way to fix this is to install genuine BMW parts and have it serviced at a..." response. I told them I'd like to see the problem. The tech (knowledgeable guy, definitely) showed me the problem, and I had a more candid conversation with him. He wasn't a big fan of the Cool Carbons, but thought there was no reason that the problem arose from "aftermarket brakes."

I asked him to crack open one of the calipers, we looked at the inside brake pad, the clips holding it in were snapped. Guess that settles that. Dealer didn't charge me, which was nice, but now I need to spend another $75 because of a defective brake pad. Meh. Not the end of the world.