View Single Post
      11-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #437
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I just bought a 06 Z4MR and just joined the site. Not sure to reply here or elsewhere. I see last update was 07. I need some answers. I need tires really badly. The Pilot SS are nearly smooth on the rears. A few days ago, I was going to order some Nitto NT05's in a 235/40-F, 265/35 - R under the advice that they will give me a large contact patch and improved handling, compared to the stock size of 225/45, 255/40. I have some budget constraints. ( really should have sold my 72 Datsun 240 Z with 300 HP before buying Z4 M...Datsun for sale... ) Anyway. Now that my research tells me for the best grip in a ultra high performance summer tire, the Bridgestone RE-71R seems to get the most high ratings from the forum. For an extra $ 400 I now think is is worth the extra cost. On my stock " light alloys " which come to find out, are not all that light. ( Plus they need refinished, as they have the coating wearing off them in a few spots, dealership says for $110 per wheel, a company comes in and doest the work, same day, amy thoughts on this ? ) As I now have versed myself in offsets, staggered setups, spacers, backspacing etc. I've learned some, but now have more questions.
1) For spirited weekend driving, with perhaps a visit to the 1/8 runway in town, perhaps some fast Auto X and maybe looking into HPDE, what should I really look for when tire shopping/comparing.
2) Is it true that the wider I go, the more rubber on the road, so more grip in the curves
3) The 200AA rating means they will wear out quickly and wouldn't I want a AAA rating ?
4) If when using the Tire Size Calc. my decision to go 225/45-255/40 to 235/40-265-35 when comparing them on the calc.. (A) my front Diameter Variance is -2.29
my Rear DV is -2.80
(B) so actual speed is 2.25 % TOO FAST-Fr
2.88 % " " -Rear
(C) Rev per Mile Fr- 800.85 to 818.85
Rear- 799.03 to 822.03
Maybe I wrong, but doesn't this mean I have to have 18 MORE revolutions - Fr
23 MORE revolutions- Rear
So this tire change would slow me down in a straight line ? I don't want that.

(5) Staggered VS Squared ? Since the front and rears are different ET 42-F/ET 30-R,
what is the best tire size setup in the 18 inch OEM wheels ?

(6)Lastly You State On your Post -Original Z4 18" wheel sets don't seem to have the proper offset to fit correctly.

So what is the solution to your stated problem and to my fragmented thoughts.

Anyone that has any knowledge of all of this, PLEASE HELP ME GET NEW SHOES FOR MY BABY SO I CAN DRIVE HER LIKE SHE IS MEANT TO BE DRIVEN.= getting the best tire for the best price, type, manufacturer, size.
Appreciate 0