10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
So does this mean as long as my car passes the sniffer test and no CEL/codes are showing, I'd be good to go at one of the "old method" shops?

I'm not sure what the current process is, so if someone could school me that would be much appreciated.
There are 3 parts to the typical (old) smog. Visual, Emissions (sniffer) and Functional (CEL and readiness flags).

Visual -Some shops will miss things or won't bother. I wouldn't count on them not finding something though
Emissions - Sniffer test. Self explanitory
Functional - Here's the issue you're going to run into. If you install headers and don't relocate the 02 sensors, you're going to get a CEL (will fail smog). You can resolve CEL by setting certain flags to "Not Ready" (will fail smog).

Tuning off the CEL by marking flags "Not Ready" is so that you don't have a nagging light telling you that the car can't find a sensor that you know isn't there. It's also so that if you get a "real" code, you'll know ASAP (hard to tell if the light is on 24/7). But what it won't do is help you pass smog.

Bottom Line: If you want to pass the Functional part of smog with headers, you'll need to get your section 1 done properly or "find a guy". Maybe there's a tune out there that could fix this but I'm not aware of it. It would need to remove cell and keep all the readiness flags to "ready".

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0