11-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I bought my car used and didn't know about the 7500 rebate, but was that cash back instituted because the car wasn't selling well / unpopular? If so, wouldn't it still be unpopular /not sell well in the future? I just wonder how much demand there will be for our cars in the future when it took a $7500 rebate to move these in the past.
Yes the car didn't sell well when it was new. Neither did the MZ3 coupe and look at the current prices for those cars.

How a sports car sells when it was new and it's used value years later really has no real correlation; there are tons of sports car from the NSX, mkIV Supra etc. that weren't very popular sellers when they were new due mainly to competition with porsche and corvette, and now a 1992 NSX is the same price as a 2004 911 or 2006 corvette.

Also people who purchase new BMW's are different from those who buy used BMW's. The younger enthusiast crowd tends to buy 2 and 3 year old cars, and demand for the Mz4 just keep rising as the bangle styling has come into it's own and begun to be accepted by the majority of enthusiasts, and also because of the bloat the new generation of BMW's has gained, in all likelihood this will be the last true BMW sportscar for a while.

Going back to how these cars sold when new most of these cars were sold as 3 year leases and vast majority sold were 07 models, so the supply of lease return cars is going to dry up in the next year. The availability of the 1800 US cars isn't going to be nearly what it currently is. The market for anyone looking to buy the "right" Mz4 is going to dwindle and enthusiasts looking for that certain car are going to have to start paying a premium.