11-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #29
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I bought my car used and didn't know about the 7500 rebate, but was that cash back instituted because the car wasn't selling well / unpopular? If so, wouldn't it still be unpopular /not sell well in the future? I just wonder how much demand there will be for our cars in the future when it took a $7500 rebate to move these in the past.
Originally, BMW hoped to sell a thousand or so Z4Ms a year, split between roadsters and coupes. After the debut in May 2006, the car seemed hot and BMW ramped up production fo 2007. Their original projections turned out to be on target, and so they were swamped with excess cars. They heavily discounted the 2007s to clear the lots and reduced production of 2008s, pretty much only building cars to order. This is why there are more 2007s than 2006 and 2008 cars combined - it was the only full year of production at near capacity.

As for demand - the largest market for Z4Ms has always been non-M Z4 owners (I was one myself). As prices depreciate and the original cars age, more Z4 owners will want to move up (though more will likely move on).
Appreciate 0