View Single Post
      04-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #22
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Sorry Pomerlo- my issue with the DWS was not tramlining- it was that the tires made the car feel extremely unstable at speed, increased steering lag, and the reduced traction (though the last one is my fault- I was comparing a summer tire to an all season- not a fair comparison). Some of the problems reduced after the tire got used (which took quite a long time), but it was still at a point where I was not happy with it. I also got an alignment done, and that helped some, but not to the point I felt safe.

The tire shop that I went to replace them said that they had the same issue with that tire (DWS) before- but only with BMW drivers. So makes me think I'm not the only nut.

Regarding your problem, a couple of things:
1. Are you sure the dunlops are good tires? Have you run a search on tirerack/google to see if others have complained of the same issue? I know that tires play a major role in tramlining, so maybe those tires are just lousy at that aspect?
2. Have you gotten a good alignment done? I know that toe settings can have a pretty big effect on this too.
3. What kind of roads do you live around? Obviously this is a sports car so the steering feedback will be higher than a normal car- if you combine that with pretty bad roads, maybe you just have a bad combo on hand?

-gc
Appreciate 0