08-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No65mph View Post
Yeah I looked it up, very important part of it. Any other ideas seat wise?
Honestly things like this are hard to recommend online. You just need to go to a race shop and try out different seats that fit you best. Take measurements of those seats. Then research online to see if others have a) fitted those same seats or b) fitted seats with similar measurements. Obviously each model within a brand differs but my overall impressions for Sparco, OMP and Recaro for 3 seats that were all considered to be similar in size were:

Sparco Evo - tight waist, good lumbar support but side bolters were a little low
OMP WRC - high side bolsters, generous space in the shoulder areas (but less shoulder support), and you really "sink" into the seat which helps offset the lack of shoulder support
Recaro Pole Position - waist was in between OMP & Sparcos, shoulders felt crowded though

All 3 seats were good and I wouldn't hesitate to run any of those brands, just have to pick what fits you best. I will say Sparcos are generally cheaper than Recaros so I think you get really good value with those. But if you're top heavy, I would look into OMP WRC XL's, really good leg support without crowding the chest/shoulders.

One other piece of info, does the seat currently have harnesses? I'm assuming they don't because harnesses obviously require a harness or rollbar and the space is pretty cramped to begin with. Reason most folks DON'T go with aftermarket seats is because there's simply not enough room to install a rollbar. A harness bar may give you more space but isn't as safe and some clubs may not even allow them. So before you decide to commit to seats & harnesses, first check to see if you even have space to install a proper rollbar. I'm 5'9" and I barely have enough space for a rollbar and harnesses installed correctly (proper angle & spacing).

And if it turns out you don't have enough space to run harnesses & rollbar, then you may want to look at something like the Sportser which will provide good lateral support but still compatible with the factory 3 points. Factory belt + CG lock + Recaro Sportster would do a good job of holding you in place.