View Single Post
      01-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Total brake loss at 200kph plus! (Vid)

Closest I've come to losing my girl! I had total brake failure at the end of the straight on Wednesday at a local track. Foot to the floor, pumping.... nothing..... please come back please come back..... nope.... come on you b*stard!.... nothing..... oohh shit....

You can see the Civic bust out onto the straight much faster than I was expecting (36secs in vid, found out later he is supercharged and track only), and I should come nowhere near him into the first corner he is so far ahead. I should have started braking between the 1st and 2nd brake markers (58sec), but with nothing there I had to try to get around the Civic not knowing how hard he could brake. Once he was out of the way I still had get over some potholes, and then get the car turned through the gate. Possibly if I had coilovers (coming soon) I wouldn't have had to worry about the potholes so much and could have turned slightly earlier and not had to be so aggressive.

Somehow I had enough traction to get the car too far to the right, and had to correct to the left. But that helped shed some speed so I guess that worked out okay. I tell you what though, sliding through a gate out of control at that speed was pretty damn exciting!!!

First pic below is the aftermath. When I got back to the pits my front left brake was on fire and needed extinguishing, the liquid on the ground is what little brake fluid was left in the system. I think what happened is the pads and caliper over heated so badly that the seal in the brake line melted and started spewing fluid. I'll know more next week.

But don't worry these Stoptech's arrived this morning and go on next week. Combined with CL endurance pads I don't think this will be happening again. Period.

Not so sure about my instinct to go off track and take my chances with the gate rather than use a brother to slow down though. The safe thing to do might have been to clean him up. Still, it worked out okay.... me and my Z4 have one less life up our sleeve, that's for sure.
Attached Images

2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.

Last edited by VMZ432; 01-28-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0