View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 10:22 AM   #7859
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
IMO, EVs are a great idea experiencing a lot of growing pains. As the technology improves and infrastructure adapts, they will be the future or personal automobiles.

For example, if Toyota can deliver on their battery timeline, and it does not require some special charger infrastructure, it could be a game changer. 750 mile range and 10 minute charge to go from a 10%-80% charge will be a lot closer to the ICE experience. I have NOT read how solid state batteries respond to extreme heat or cold so that could have an impact.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...battery-plans/

With all that said, there is a lot of ancillary work that needs to be done and all of that requires time and money.
I read this and it's very interesting, but you can see they have the cost labeled as TBD for their solid states. It's NOT going to be inexpensive or a cheaper option. That's not how technology works. The way I see it, we're several generations away from EV's truly being able to replace ICE. You need the claimed capabilities of the solid state batteries, but at prices *cheaper* than today because most cannot even afford EV's. They're a tough sell and will continue to be.