Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'm having the Eibach/Bilstein vs KW V3 debate right now. My car will likely live out its days as a weekend fun car (no track, maybe an autocross), and a softer suspension with progressive rate springs will handle the bumps and improve performance on the street. I'm sold on the reviews of the KW's other than the fact that I don't need all the adjustability; I'll probably set it and forget it. I guess the shocks can compensate for wear over time with some minor tweaks.

Ideally I'd like something with the same performance as stock, but with a better ride and a very minor drop. A better ride does more than just make the car more comfortable - it will make it last longer on the street. Every pothole loosens the fit and finish, and before you know it, things that you never thought could rattle are doing exactly that.

I've read mixed reviews of the Bilsteins, and really spring/shock combos in general. The Eibachs seem to give the drop I want with approximately the same ride quality as stock (maybe slightly stiffer and less crashy), but the hesitation of a lot of forum members to go this route has me questioning why.

The question for me really comes down to, is it actually possible to improve ride quality AND performance? I don't buy the argument that it's possible to lower the car and get a more comfortable ride. I see it as a gimmick repeated by people trying to sell you something. Lowering the car reduces suspension travel, meaning you will need a higher spring rate to avoid bottoming out... and that reduces ride quality. Firmer springs distribute the car's load around corners to all four wheels better (unless you hit a bump), improving tire contact patches and increasing maximum grip. But again, firmer springs sacrifice ride quality. Going the other way (softer) should do the opposite, right? Is there something magical about aftermarket coilovers (suspension geometry, etc) that allows you to improve ride and performance? Or do they simply allow the user to optimize the car via multiple methods of adjustability? In my (in)experience, it's a sliding scale - you either have comfort or performance, until you deviate so far outside of the optimum category that both performance and comfort are reduced at the extremes... too soft or too hard, and you sacrifice both.

Lastly, if coilovers did in fact improve handling and comfort at the same time, why would a $60k car not come with them stock? Is the Honda Ebay aftermarket really that far ahead of BMW? No...

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0