View Single Post
      06-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Potential new tranny?

Hello everyone. This is actually my first thread here. Been around Bimmerforums for a little and found the community is far greater at zpost so maybe you guys can give me a hand here.

I just got an 06 m roadster few months ago. Ever since I got it, I've been hearing rattling noises going from 1-2 gear. From clutch going in, shifting to 2nd and letting the clutch out. After that, it's butter. It's always an unpleasant noise and kick that makes the passenger, well.... Sometimes it goes away but initially it's always there if not done at a certain rpm and exact moment that needs to be shifted. Don't even get me started on cold starts. I worry the person taking a stroll down the block would start laughing from the loud transmission rattle it makes between those gears

So I decide to take the car over to my uncle, who works on transmissions for as long as I can remember. Test drove it, nothing wrong, kept it overnight to check it out on cold starts, nothing wrong. I went by about a month until it just drove me nuts. So now I turn to you fellow z owners. Are rattling noises normal when clutch goes in from 1st and clutch goes out into 2nd? Does your z shift smooth from 1st to 2nd? (without putting as much effort as I mentioned above)

I understand "rattling" noises is very generic and could be a list of problems. I just want what you've experienced that could give me some sort of direction I can go to with this.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0