08-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
If all you want is the engine, all you're getting is the extra horses, and if all you want is more horsepower, there are better ways of going about it. If you want the performance of an M, you'll need the suspension, hydraulic steering, M-diff, etc. - suddenly, spending $10 grand more for the M seems a bargain.

This mod is similar to a threesome with Paris Hilton and Britney Spears - sure, it's do-able, but that doesn't mean it's sensible.
I agree with you that there are easier ways to make power if that's all you want, but I just also want to reiterate that while the M cars are simply amazing for power delivery and handling, one can easily outperform it with other modifications that don't require everything the M has, such as the hydraulic steering and M differential. Leave the electric steering alone, get a quaiffe, KW coilovers are probably cheaper then the M suspension and offer significantly better handling and adjustibility. There's endless opportunities out there and there's no point in fearing what seems like a daunting task. Set a goal and aim to achieve it. It's all doable.

And with my own car, with my own goals, given time and money, I will have a Z4 that outperforms the M in every way possible. (Mind you I also set a budget so as NOT to exceed the price of a brand new Z4M.)

But regards to simply wanting more power, what about the uniqueness factor?

For example, last time I was in a car shop a few days ago, I saw a 240sx with a 2JZ sitting in the engine bay waiting for the front mount and turbo to be bolted in.

Why not bolt in an RB? its much easier... then again... who the heck have you seen put a Toyota engine inside a Nissan? Nice to be the first to do things.
Appreciate 0