View Single Post
      09-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #62
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy View Post
I was still kinda unfamiliar with the track on this run so some of my lines were a bit off.
Ah. That explained alot.

One thing afforded me as an instructor for our organization, is we get a 15 minute "orientation" session every morning at each track, regardless of how familiar we are with the track. I can't tell you how much it helps to have that 15 minutes, or about 5 laps, at very slow speed (no more than 65 mph were the directive, or cool-down lap speeds), to get familiarized quickly with the track layout when we went to Chuckwalla for the first time. Also gives me an opportunity to bed-in the brakes and warm up the tires.

But even the most experienced racers will start out their weekend SLOW. I mean, top tier racers in F1 will shave SECONDS off of their time between the first practice to qualifying, and that's an eternity in F1. Especially with unfamiliar tracks, the slower I go in the first session usually results in faster lap times by the end of the day.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0