View Single Post
      05-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Power isn't everything....

So, yesterday I went to an AX practice at Cal Speedway and was putting in some decent times for SST on my worn out PS2's. It was pretty slippery, but I was doing great compared to some other cars similarly modded to mine... THEN IT HAPPENED.

One of the instructors that's cool has a Miata that he runs in a stock class. He has some Dunlop Star Specs and everything else is stock. He asked to drive my car, so I said I wanted to give his a spin for fun as well.

He jumps in my car, spins out twice, and was really all over the place... hahaha He couldn't believe the power. So, I jumped in his car, never have driven it before, and put in a 2 second slower lap than my best lap in my M.

That said, to drive an Z4 M I gotta say, is ALOT tougher to drive than a Miata. I could put the Miata on the exact line I wanted, and rail a lot quicker through the turns because of it's light weight. I'm sure the tires helped as well, but still.

Anyway, now I need to do some more suspension stuff to my car if I'm gonna have a realistic chance at competing against these things in SST. It was a real eye opener for sure... So if any of you are really thinking about doing the track / AX thing, I suggest you forget about all the motor mods, and really invest in making it handle. All the power in the world means nothing if you can't control it....

B
Appreciate 0