View Single Post
      07-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Thanks all. I left out somethings that are hard to explain without speaking verbal. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to answer them the best I can. A phone call might be in order tho.

The only "scary" or dangerous part is right after the 3rd to last picture. Once you start loosening those outer helical gear "caps" that cover the bolts you are trying to get at, you are playing with the timing. Make your markings and take a picture of the position of the inner helical gear spacing. When removing the outer helical gear cap, it will rotate. When replacing this helical outer cap, you have to compensate for the rotation by starting ahead of your marking. This is where that picture comes into play so you know the position of the inner gear to make your marks line up.

You can also do it another way, which I figured out when I started on the exhaust cam. I believe this way is easier and less tricky. Make your markings & take pictures of that inner/outer helical gear gap. Then keep the inner gear at the same position and just pull both pieces out. Refer to #3 in this picture
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=25
The inner helical gear has diagonal teeth on the outer end and straight teeth on the end that goes into the camshaft. If you keep that inner/outer helical gear distance the same or know approximately what it is, you just pull straight out, change your bolts, then slide it back straight on. The distance between teeth or thread pitch of the straight teeth on part #3 is pretty large so your markings will either line up or be way off if the inner/outer gear gap is correct or pretty close.

I wish I would of taken a video of me playing with those helical gears. They really are amazing pieces of work.

Also there is a big washer type thing between the outer helical cap and the cam gear that you have to line up.

Last edited by Blind32; 07-15-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0