07-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #65
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post

With the transmission out, it made sense to use the ZF 5 speed I had in the shop. I also had the Bimmerworld strapless clutch kit from the S52 that will mate the S54 to the ZF tranny. The ZF is 20 lbs lighter than the Getrag 6 speed. Mounting the shorter ZF is pretty easy. Order yourself a transmission mount from a 2.5 Z4 that came with this transmission and it then bolts right up. The driveshaft did have to be lengthened 100mm by a local driveshaft shop. I also had to have a custom length DSSR fabricated for the gear selector.
Humm, I always thought our cars come stock with the ZF GS6-37BZ, not a Getrag. What made you stay with a synchro box?

I am thinking of changing the stock H pattern 6-spd to a sequential dogbox with straight cut gears from Samsonas or Hollinger RD6.

H pattern synchro boxes are so slow; after you have driven a sequential you can never go back.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0