View Single Post
      03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMZ432 View Post
Slicks are BFG R1's. Not the stickiest tire (true to their Tire Rack feedback) but they are long lasting and I have no complaints. Yes, slicks are definitely not as vocal! Not such a bad thing though, it forces you to pay complete attention to the attitude of the car, which along with the engine pitch really tells you all you need to know. Once you get used to it, it feels like streets talk too much. The idea that they give up all at once takes longer to come to grips with, but it's worth it.

Speaking of being worth it though, I sometimes struggle to see the value. My best lap time on slicks on that track is 1:25:15. On streets my best time is 1:26:69. Just over 1.5 seconds. That's not much really.

Still, I much prefer the slicks, and you really can feel the extra grip. And I really like the idea that I'm not wearing out my road tires forcing them to do something they aren't designed for. And I love that they last much longer than street tires before handling turns to goo.

On the downside they take a little longer to warm up, there is an extra cost in wheels, they are unusable in the wet, and it's more messing around generally.

There is a good case for going either way. For me the extra grip and longer life per session is enough reason to feel they are worth it. But if time and money was a big factor, I'd prefer to spend it elsewhere.
In the autocross word they typically say that on a 60 second course, same car and driver there should be a 1 sec difference from R-Comps and Street Tires.

The technology these days with street tires are really amazing. The BFG Rivials, Dunlop Star Specs or now ZIIs and the Hankook RS3s are something to consider in the future, IMO. All meant for high performance driving.

The BFG Rivals are suppose to be the fastest tire so far, and it has been proving that with all of the independent tests that have been conducted.

Perhaps you should look into some Continental Slicks...some 17" sizes are on sale DIRT CHEAP

https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm
Appreciate 0