View Single Post
      07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

I'm not going to get into a huge talk about soft top care, but I will give a few pointers.

Number one, DO NOT put your softtop down (in its bay) when it is wet. When it is in there, it is dark, moist and away from the elements. Bacteria LOVE that environment, of which creates a gradual decay of the material.
When I wash my car, unless my top is dirty: I never hit it with the pressure washer or soap brush. It stays perfectly dry, including from water deflecting off and hitting it. Usually I leave the top down while washing it as I never get water on it.
This way you/I can put the top down, or leave it down while never worrying about any rott related issues. If you do get it wet, let it dry completely before putting it into its bay. Yes, even just "moist" fabric can still rott.

Number 2. Scotchgard or the equivelent works great for keeping dirty water from entering the fabric when it does rain in muddy/dirty conditions. It also minimizes the amount of water that the canvas absorbs when it does rain. It POURED rain today and after an hour, when the sun first came out, my top was already bone dry.

If there is any dirt or grease that enters the fabric, then

Number 3, Use a carpet extractor to suck out the dirt, rather then blasting it into the fabric. Any detail studio can do this for you, or you can do it yourself.
Idealistically, keep the fabric clean and dry, and you'll have a great looking top in years to come.
Appreciate 0