View Single Post
      07-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

[QUOTE=The__J__Factor;6532708]Hey all,

The intake got sold. The shape was pretty similar and would have worked fine, however i could not find a MAF adapter to have welded to a new intake section of piping. I didnt want to cut up the stock air box and modify the maf to make it work.

Also the pipe coming off the intake i bought was much smaller than the stock intake piping, so you would need to get rid of it and attach a new one. This would also involve getting a flat piece of metal for the base to screw onto the intake and then have the new pipe welded onto the base piece.

So at the end of the day it was doable, but a lack of time and not finding what i needed made me end up selling it.

Does anyone know if the MAF is the same as the M3? Or at least same shape and use same mounts? That could give us somewhere to start on making a custom intake.[/QUOTE]

This last part is something I am trying to discover as well. I have some ideas about building a custom AFE type cai, and the only real holdup seems to be the mass air meter connector. As we all know the maf is built into the Z4M airbox unlike most cars where it is seperate from the airbox. This means you would have to cut up the stock airbox to reuse the connector and I doubt many want to do that. I have thought about trying to fabricate a new connector by building a new attachement piece and then attaching it to a new tube, but I don't think I have the ability to create one that would be up to standard. I believe it needs to "seal" in there and if a fabricated one wasn't up to spec, I would be affraid if getting codes. So, one solution is to get a spare Z4M airbox and cut that up (no one seems to have any they want to give up for obvious reasons, I've tried) and the other is to use another BMW model connector if it matches. Does anyone know if the E46 M3(or any other model) connectors are the same as ours? With this problem solved I think I could come up with a pretty decent intake similar to an Afe for a fraction of the cost that most could duplicate themselves.
Thx
Appreciate 0