04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxland View Post
I was going to change my oil, looking at some of the threads it says to drive the car up on a ramp to get access to the drain plug, if that's done doesnt that prevent all the oil from draining? To fill it, the car should be level, just a little confused. Clarification would help.
Thanks,
Mo
You are correct, when draining, with the front wheels up on ramps a little of the oil still remains. And to check that it is to the correct level, AFTER filling, it needs to be back on a level surface.

Everyone has their take on things but IMHO it the small amount of old oil left when draining matters very little in comparison to proper warm up before draining, using correct oil, changing the filter, and filling to proper level. This is not a complex subj unless you want to get into the science of syn oil vs dino, avantages of oil coolers and dry sumps. Hardest part is remembering to put the drain plug back in, dont ask how I know.

Not to insult your intelligence, what I do is perform the initial fill about 1 to 3/4 a quart low by volume, then get it on level ground and fill it to midrange on the car's gage. Then let it warm up and check/adjust the level again. It bites doing this with the wonderful BMW electronic oil indicator, but thats the price we keep on paying for the love/hate of owning this model BMW. I'll stay away from the dipstick rant. Just wish I could send the Castrol Irishman with the dipstick thru BMW HQ and find the moron that came up with this better idea. Make a great Superbowl BMW commercial. "Here at BMW we dont always get it right the first time, and not that we'll ever admit it, but being German we do take care of business......Cue..cut to..The Irishman going into Jesus clearing the temple mode." I'd invite friends, get a keg, and pay money to watch that video.
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 04-19-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0